“Associazione per il Museo della Seta di Como” was established in via Castelnuovo 9, Como in 1992 and it is charged with running the Silk Museum.
Particularly, it is a non-profit-making Association aiming at spreading the textile culture by doing research, studying, restoring and exhibiting the textile heritage from Como and Lombardy.
The preserved Heritage
Most of the material comes from both factories and single donations keeping the history of the area alive.
What can be found at the Museum?
The heritage is made up of thousands of items partly on display:
- Historical textile devices and machinery of particular interest
- Archives of drawings, design paper, colour cards, samples and printing devices (photos 1, 2, 3, 4)
- Collections and objects (i.e. clothing accessories)
- Handmade textile articles, civil and religious silk collections, 20th century clothes, laces and embroideries (photo 5)
- Books and documents
- Weaving exercise books (photo 6)
- Collection of business and private letters
- Printings and lithographs (photo 7)
- Photographs (photo 8)
Many donations continue to enrich the Museum collection.
Consultation of the heritage not on display
On request, students and researchers can consult our material for degree thesis, specialized articles and studies.
Recognitions / Certifications
Formal recognitions to Associazione per il Museo della Seta di Como and Museo didattico della Seta.
14th June 1999 – Legal entity to Associazione per il Museo della Seta di Como.
5th November 2004 – First recognition to museums and collections in Lombardy.
Three-year recognition to the Educational Silk Museum from Regione Lombardia.
2nd August 2007 – Second recognition to museums and collections from Regione Lombardia.
With reference to art.20 Dlg 39 of 2013, the Como Silk Museum not being a private law entity in public control, it is not required to publish the declarations of non-existence of causes of incompatibility and incompatibility.